Friday, July 14, 2017

Mathematical Practice #2

Eight Mathematical Practices

This is the second one

Reason abstractly and quantitatively

We need to be able to break down the problem and be able to represent the problem in what makes sense be it pictures, words, symbols, etc. I wasn’t as concerned about the answer as I was about the process. I wanted to see their work, how they came to the answer that they had. I got more the line that “I did the work in my head” more than what I can count.


Drawing representations of problems in whatever manner made sense and then label the sketches. Manipulatives often help in understanding of problems. I tried to let students figure out what to do with data themselves instead of giving them an algorithm that solved the problem but didn’t give them an understanding of the relationship of the numbers.

No comments:

Post a Comment